Listen to 30 Second Song Samples
Richard Rodney Bennett
Clarinet Chamber Music
A Birthday Tribute
Victoria Soames Samek – Clarinet Michael Bell – Piano
with Inspirity String Quartet and East Winds
Clarinet Classics is proud and delighted to honour one of the world’s most brilliant and versatile composers and musician. To celebrate his 75th birthday, Clarinet Classics is releasing a CD which features many of his works for clarinet.
This CD, a rich and diverse collection of works, will be of great interest to listeners who wish to hear some of Richard Rodney Bennett’s more serious music. The founder and artistic director of Clarinet Classics, Victoria Soames Samek, whose many recordings are celebrated for their masterly and musical interpretation, is joined on this fascinating and colourful disc by duo partner and pianist Michael Bell. The Inspirity String Quartet and East Winds also perform.
- World Premiere recording for this CD of the Bass Clarinet Sonata, newly transcribed from his Sonata for bassoon and piano by permission of the composer
- His rarely heard Clarinet Quintet – a master work of the 20th century for this combination of clarinet and strings
- The beautiful and melancholic “Ballad in memory of Shirley Horn”His dynamic and exciting Duo, performed on this CD with electric precision by Samek and Bell
- Other works appearing for the first time on CD will be hugely valued by clarinet players and enthusiasts who know Sir Richard as a film composer and pianist
- Well known for his film music and interest in jazz, with scores including “Far from the Madding Crowd” and “Four Weddings and a Funeral”
‘Bennett effortlessly fuses strands of serialism, jazz, Stravinskian wit and (in the case of the beautiful clarinet quintet) shades of English Pastoral. Expertly performed and beautifully recorded.’
CLASSICAL MUSIC MAGAZINE
“The commitment and quality of the playing is at once apparent…”
Click to see the full review from International Record Review
Playing Time: 80 mins.