Listen to 30 Second Song Samples
Chamber Music for the Saxophone
Kyle Horch – saxophone
An exciting recital of works featuring the Saxophone, played by the noted exponent, Kyle Horch.
Very few saxophone chamber discs have been made. The works featured on this CD were written at the beginning of the modern saxophone’s history and the programme explores how important composers of differing styles made use of the new instrument in a chamber music setting. Kyle brings together a fascinating collection of music, much of which is currently unavailable.
- Koechlin’s Epitaph for Jean Harlow
- The exotic Quatuor by Villa Lobos for flute, alto sax harp, celeste and female voices
- A fascinating Quintet by Adolf Busch, leader of the legendary Busch Quartet
- Hindemith’s Trio, featuring the tenor saxophone
- Webern’s concise Quartett
Many of the twentieth century’s finest composers have written works featuring the saxophone. This CD features a programme of music which will intrigue, fascinate and bring musical pleasure to a wide range of listeners.
“The programme’s protagonists transmit a true feeling of exploration… the recording reveals versatile performers who can take on the lyrical heart of German Romanticism or an exotic Brazilian Seductiveness with supreme conviction.”
***** for both performance and sound, BBC Music Magazine
” …… hauntingly beautiful …… electric and superbly executed …… exciting and dazzling display of technique and colour …..”
Clarinet & Saxophone Society
- Adolf Busch – Quintet for alto saxophone and string quartet
- Charles Koechlin – Epitaphe de Jean Harlow op.164, Romance for flute, alto saxophone and piano
- Paul Hindemith – Trio op.47 for viola, tenor saxophone and piano
- Anton Webern – Quartett op.22 for violin, clarinet, tenor saxophone and piano
- Joaquin Nin – Le Chant du Veilleur, Estampe Hollandaise for mezzo-soprano, alto saxophone and piano
- Heitor Villa-Lobos – Quatuor for harp, celeste, flute, alto saxophone and female voices.
‘…hauntingly beautiful…electric and superbly executed… exciting and dazzling display of technique and colour…’
CLARINET & SAXOPHONE SOCIETY
Playing Time: 71 mins.