As principal clarinettist of the Orchestra of Welsh National Opera spanning over twenty five years, Leslie Craven will be the master of melody. This delightfully refreshing recording of tonal works for clarinet performed by a leading exponent of English Clarinet playing displays a lyrical side to “new music” with its generous serving of melody. This diverse new repertoire will captivate newcomers to clarinet music, clarinet enthusiasts and the general public.
Works by Christopher Ball, Daniel Bimbi, Vasco Hexel, Gary Schocker, Tom Jacksonand Anthony Wakefield This diverse new repertoire with virtuoso works for clarinet and piano, folk song arrangements for clarinet and harp, (including the haunting “Suo Gan”made famous by the film “Empire of the Sun”), a brilliant duet for two clarinets, evocative unaccompanied solo clarinet works and a trio for clarinet flute and piano will captivate the listener.
- Bimbi El Casot (clarinet and piano); Lluna (clarinet, flute and piano)
- Hexel Sonatina Lyrico (clarinet and piano)
- Ball Invocations of Pan (clarinet solo); Folk Song arrangements (clarinet and harp/piano); Music for Youth (clarinet duet)
- Schocker A Better Day (clarinet and piano)
- Wakefield Hauntings (clarinet and piano)
- Jackson Sonata for Clarinet Alone
- arr. Thomas/ Craven Huna Blentyn (clarinet and harp)
Leslie Craven clarinet; Rachel Attwell piano; Katherine Thomas harp, Jonathan Burgess flute; Tom Jackson clarinet;
‘Tonally Leslie Craven (currently principal clarinet in the Welsh National Opera) is very much in the Gervase de Peyer – Reginald Kell mould…his legato is excellent and tuning are excellent’
CLARINET & SAXOPHONE SOCIETY
‘This is an eclectic and thoroughly enjoyable collection of short pieces featuring clarinet.’
Total Time: 79 minutes