Incandescence Music by women composers for saxophone and piano
Saxophonist Michael Duke presents his second recording for the label with long time collaborator pianist David Howie as HD Duo. The recording shines a spotlight on some of the indelible compositions contributed to the musical canon as well as world premieres by women composers present and past.
First performing together in 2008, Duke and Howie have made the impetus for their duo the presentation of exciting and innovative chamber music. Of particular interest and drive for the duo has been their close collaboration with some of Australia’s most prominent and respected composers commissioning, recording and performing these new works written specifically for them. Meeting as colleagues at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, the Duo performs regularly across Australia in addition to appeared in concert throughout the world.
• Opening and closing the CD are two polar opposite trio works by Pulitzer Prize winning composer Jennifer Higdon. While Dash leaps off the page with unceasing high energy, Lullaby sings with a calming great beauty.
• Reveling in the harmonic influences of Debussy and Ravel are the two compositions of Fernande Decruck, depicting the sounds of France, Cambodia, Indonesia and beyond.
• This world premiere recording of Stacy Garrop’s Fragmented Spirit shows why she is such a powerful force in new music. The deeply emotive music truly runs the gamut.
• Commissioned specifically for this project, Australian composer Katy Abbott’s Undercurrent juxtaposes everlasting long lyrical phrases with potent rhythmic energy.
• One of the most prolific contributors to the saxophone repertoire, Ida Gotkovsky’s work presents a tour de force of lyricism and virtuosity with the premiere recording of her Incandescence.
Michael Duke Saxophones David Howie Piano
‘Michael Duke, world exponent and International artist has earned a reputation not just for his world-class playing, but his commitment to bringing lesser known repertoire to a wider audience. This CD devoted to women composers is an important addition to the catalogue.
Total Time: 79 minutes