Paul Harris –A Musical Celebration
As part of the label’s 20th anniversary celebrations, this release dedicated to the celebrated Paul Harris who is such a significant figure in the clarinet world, a recording devoted to his clarinet chamber music seemed a fitting tribute.
Paul Harris is well-known internationally as a composer and writer, with over 600 publications to his name. This world-premiere recording brings together a unique selection from both his serious and light-hearted compositions. The CD is rich in lyrical and melodic content, including a variety of instrumentation and enjoying the additional bonus of voice and narrator.
This is the second in the new Clarinet & Saxophone Classics series devoted to composers of today. Director, Victoria Samek, a close friend of the composer, brings her unique and personal interpretation to the recording, accompanied by her duo partner Michael Bell, together with the wonderful actor Robert Hardy, soprano Karen Radcliffe, clarinettist Kimberly Easter and East Winds.
- World premiere recordings of many works including The Unhappy Aardvark, one of Paul’s most popular pieces, narrated by the legendary Robert Hardy.
- Some of Paul’s charming shorter pieces, such as the delightful and effervescent Suite in 5. A definitive performance of the Sonata da Camera, often to be found on exam syllabuses.
- The first recording of Paul’s beautiful Adagio.
- Some of Paul’s wittier music, including the Six Clerihew Songs and the Fantastical Micro-Variations on a theme by Mozart
- Plus a selection of his distinctive, enchanting and occasionally quirky chamber music, such as the Wind Trio and Train Music.
Sonatina, Visions, Adagio, Divertimento, Trio for Flute, Train Music , The Unhappy Aardvark, on Safari, Sonata da Camera, Cat and Mouse, King’s Parade, Six Clerihew songs, Swiftly, Suite in 5, Fantastical Micro, Introduction, Theme and Variations.
Kimberley Easter clarinet; East Winds
‘This impressive partnership….Victoria Soames Samek & Michael Bell are a formidable duo’.’
INTERNATIONAL RECORD REVIEW
Sonatina, Visions, Adagio, Divertimento, Trio for Flute, Train Music , The Unhappy Aardvark, On Safari, Sonata da Camera, Cat and Mouse, King’s Parade, Six Clerihew songs, Swiftly, Suite in 5, Fantastical Micro, Introduction, Theme and Variations. ‘This impressive partnership….Victoria Soames Samek & Michael Bell are a formidable duo’. INTERNATIONAL RECORD REVIEW
Total Time: 79 minutes