Richard Rodney Bennett – A Birthday Tribute
In celebration of one of the most distinguished composers and musicians Richard Rodney Bennet, 75th birthday, Victoria Samek has devoted a programme devoted to the clarinet chamber music which has so enriched this repertoire and personally influenced Victoria in her dedication to playing and promoting new music.
This rich and diverse collection of works, will be of great interest to listeners who wish to hear some of Richard Rodney Bennett’s more serious music. The founder and director of Clarinet & Saxophone Classics Victoria Samek, whose many recordings are celebrated for their masterly and musical interpretation, is joined on this fascinating and colourful disc by duo partner and pianist Michael Bell. The Inspirity String Quartet and East Winds.
Also now includes the additional piece “Crosstalk” in which Victoria Samek is joined by Roger Heaton.
- World Premiere recording for this CD of the Bass Clarinet Sonata, newly transcribed by Richard Ralph from his Sonata for bassoon and piano with permission of the composer
- His rarely heard Clarinet Quintet – a master work of the 20th century for this combination of clarinet and strings
- The beautiful and melancholic Ballad in memory of Shirley Horn.
- His dynamic and exciting Duo Concertante, performed on this CD with electric precision by Samek and Bell
- Troubadour Music appearing for the first time on CD will be hugely valued by clarinet players and enthusiasts who know Sir Richard as a film composer and pianist.
- Travel Notes for wind quartet will also be enjoyed audiences who know his film music and interest in jazz, with scores including “Far from the Madding Crowd” and “Four Weddings and a Funeral”
- In complete contrast is Scena III forsolo clarinet and dating from 1979 reflect Bennetts period of serial writing. It was this work in particular that inspired Victoria in her formative years as a student.
‘Bennett effortlessly fuses strands of serialism, jazz, Stravinskian wit and (in the case of the beautiful clarinet quintet) shades of English Pastoral. Expertly performed and beautifully recorded.’
CLASSICAL MUSIC MAGAZINE
‘The commitment and quality of the playing is at once apparent; Victoria Soames Samek and Michael Bell are a formidable duo‘, wrote The International Record Review
Playing Time: 80 mins.