Michael Duke -Duo Sax:
One of Australia’s leading saxophonists, Michael Duke presents his second recording for the label, a programme made up of specifically from the canon of music for two saxophones. This collection showcases the flexibility of tone and diversity of colour of the instrument across a breadth of musical styles show the immense diversity and possibilities of such an instrumental combination.
- The Gershwin-esque opening of Cockcroft’s Slap Me gives way to a bluesy, jazz inspired work full of energy and excitement.
- The virtuosic and often humorous French writing that so influenced the music of the saxophone is represented in Dubois’ impressive Six Caprices.
- We hear the recreation of an imaginary “Middle Age” world in Lauba’s Ars with music that brings forth the sounds of the medieval shawm.
- Internationally acclaimed composer Samuel Adler’s captivating work Two Contrasting Inventions appears here in its world premiere recording.
- Along with the Dubois are two other “standards” in the saxophone repertoire in Paul Hindemith’s Konzertstuck and John David Lamb’s Six Barefoot Dances, both of which showcase the lyricism and vibrancy of the instrument.
- To complete the prgramme:
- Steven Galante, Saxsounds III (Diminishing Returns)
- Karlheinz Stockhausen, Knabenduett
- Christian Lauba, Ars
- Bruno Maderna, Dialodia..I
Michael Duke Saxophones
‘This recording of classical repertoire for two saxophones could only exist on a specialist label, and confirms the value of such endeavours. Duo Sax confirms that the saxophone duet is worthy of more serious consideration from both performers and audiences. It was a pleasure to hear the standard repertoire so convincingly played’
CLARINET AND SAXOPHONE MAGAZINE
Total Time: 62 minutes